Clerk of District Court

Name Position Email
Elizabeth T. Ball Clerk of Court
Kyanne Rue Deputy Clerk
Mandi Watson Deputy Clerk

The Clerk of District Court is the official keeper of all District Court records for Rosebud County. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity Cases. The Clerk also issues, files and records all Rosebud County marriage license applications and licenses.

Clerk of District Court records date back to 1901 and until 1996 were maintained in books. All records filed after 1996 are accessible by computer search.

The majority of all Clerk of Court records are open to the public. Records are searched daily by title companies, credit agencies, investigative agencies and general public. It is the Clerk of Court’s responsibility to ensure accurate and up-to-date records. Searches, copies and certified copies are provided upon request. Fees for searches and copes are charged according to statute.

The Clerk of District Court also serves as Jury Commissioner for Rosebud County. As required by statute, each May the Secretary of State provides a combined list of registered voters, licensed drivers and holders of Montana ID cards to the Clerk of District Court. This list is stored and maintained electronically and it is from this list that jurors are pulled for the City, Justice and District Court Judges. It is the Clerk’s duty to maintain an accurate listing of all selected jurors and to pull individual jury panels for the District Court Judges.

The Clerk of District Court is a sworn public servant who, by constitutional and statutory authority, provides the primary administrative function for the District Court of the 16th Judicial District Court. This office serves as the direct link between the public and the court.


While the Clerk of District Court’s office is pleased to assist you in any way possible, please understand that we are unable to provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney.

Requirements for obtaining a Marriage License

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Both parties must be present to make application.
  • Fee is $53.00 cash (NO CHECKS).
  • Both parties must provide a proof of age.
  • If either party was previously married and divorced, they must provide a copy of their most recent Divorce Decree.

Additional requirements for obtaining a marriage license (under 18 years of age)

Each party under the age of 18 must provide a notarized consent for Minor Form signed by both parents. If one parent has legal guardianship or has been awarded sole custody, then only that parent needs to sign. Both parties must attend 2 counseling sessions, not less than 10 days apart, with a marriage or family counselor or minister. The parties must have a signed affidavit from the counselor or minister stating that counseling has occurred and the dates. Both parties must obtain Judicial Consent for a District Court Judge.

For all information on passports, applicants can go to and find answers. Forms for renewing your application or applying for a new one can be found there as well. An applicant can print off the application from the website or come into our office and get a copy.


For applicants 16 years of age and older, passport books are $130; passport cards are $30. You cannot fly internationally with the card. In order to apply, the applicant needs to bring a certified copy of their birth certificate, their driver’s license and a check or money order for the amount of the passport. Currently, the processing time is 10-13 weeks. If an applicant needs expedited service, there is an additional $60 fee. The processing time for expedited service is currently 7-9 weeks. An application for a card cannot be expedited.


For children 15 years of age and younger, passport books are $100; passport cards are $15. Both parents must be present, with the child, when applying. A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate and BOTH parent’s driver’s licenses are required. The processing time is the same as for applicants over 16 years of age listed above.


Each application must have a separate check or money order for the passport fee, made payable to the Department of State.


There is a processing fee of $35 per applicant, to the Clerk of Court. This fee can be combined and can be paid by check or cash. We can also take pictures to include with the applications, at a charge of $5/each.

Have a legal question?
Looking for a legal resource?
Live Chat Navigators can assist you!

Visit the interactive self-help kiosk located within the Custer County courthouse* mezzanine to find information for your legal issues.

What you can access at the interactive kiosk:

  • – practical, easy to understand information about your legal rights.
  • Montana State Law Library – explanations and direct links to all Montana and Federal legal resources
  • Montana Law Library – Free Montana civil legal forms
  • Montana Legal Services Online Application
  • Access to Live Chat Navigator for assistance in locating resources and information


Forms and Documents

Helpful Links

Office Hours

Monday – Friday: 8 AM – 5 PM

Phone Number





1200 Main St
Forsyth, MT 59327